Post Election: What's Next?
The 2016 Presidential Election brought unprecedented attention to our political system and put our differences into stark relief. Many observe that in the past two years, we’ve become even more divided as a country. Many have also been working towards restoring relationships around shared hopes and dreams, seeking to get our country re-focused on the work of governing and finding common ground. Now, after another socially polarized election, this conversation allows us to start exploring ‘what’s next.’ Whatever our differences, let’s look for deeper unities we can rest upon and promote, such as Generosity, Kindness, Dignity, Respect, and Freedom. And let’s explore how common values and a shared desire to solve common problems might help us move forward together.
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community and/or the country?
- What would your best friend say about who you are?
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
One participant can volunteer to read the paragraph at the top of the web page.
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. After everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring additional questions as time allows.
- What does the outcome of the midterm elections mean to you?
- If the outcome was not what you hoped this time (or if you’ve been disappointed by previous elections), is there room for acceptance and a longer-term perspective?
- How can you stay connected to others you care about who feel differently about the election?
- Despite partisan division, what core values do you think Americans fundamentally agree on?
- On issues where values are aligned, what common ground solutions would you like to explore?
- Have you had any relationships damaged by politics? How might you begin to repair them?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- What was most meaningful / valuable to you in this Living Room Conversation?
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on the topic?
- How has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?