Politics in the Time of Corona
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to tell us about it!
We’re happy to help!
COVID-19 has affected every American and has been called unprecedented. It has also hit during a time of transition for our country with the 2020 elections and because of that became a highly political issue in addition to a public health crisis. This conversation seeks to explore how COVID-19 impacted our experience with the 2020 Elections and the current political climate.
Let's Get Started!
Living Room Conversations offers a simple, sociable and structured way to practice communicating across differences while building understanding and relationships. Typically, 4-6 people meet in person or by video call for about 90 minutes to listen to and be heard by others on one of our nearly 100 topics. Rather than debating or convincing others, we take turns talking to share, learn, and be curious. No preparation is required, though background links with balanced views are available on some topic pages online. Anyone can host using these italicized instructions. Hosts also participate.
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community and/or the country?
- What would your best friend say about who you are?
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
Politics in the Time of Corona (~40 min)
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. After everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring additional questions as time allows..
- How have national, state, and local government responses to the coronavirus pandemic impacted your perception of the situation? In what ways did that affect your feelings about who to vote for?
- What was your experience trying to vote during the pandemic? What successes or concerns did you witness in this unprecedented time?
- Communication during a critical event impacts ability to respond with agility and effectiveness. Which communications have been helpful to you? Which have been less helpful? What have you learned about candidates and sitting officials from their communication?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- What was most meaningful / valuable to you in this Living Room Conversation?
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on the topic?
- How has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?