Stewardship of Spirituality
Stewardship is the practice of caring for all that God has given us. Our sense of stewardship is usually directed toward the environment and nature, finances, health, property, information–resources that enhance our lives and may seem finite and at risk of scarcity. What would happen if we cared for our spiritual gifts with the same attention we give to these other aspects of our lives? How might our lives be enhanced? How might our lives be changed?
Let's Get Started!
Living Room Conversations offers a simple, sociable and structured way to practice communicating across differences while building understanding and relationships. Typically, 4-6 people meet in person or by video call for about 90 minutes to listen to and be heard by others on one of our nearly 100 topics. Rather than debating or convincing others, we take turns talking to share, learn, and be curious. No preparation is required, though background links with balanced views are available on some topic pages online. Anyone can host using these italicized instructions. Hosts also participate.
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community and/or the country?
- What would your best friend say about who you are?
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
Stewardship of Spirituality (~40 min)
One participant can volunteer to read the paragraph at the top of the web page.
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk.
- What happens when you hear the word “stewardship”? How does that apply to the care of your spiritual self?
- Which part of your spirituality is most precious to you? How do you feed, nurture or protect it?
- Where do you feel an absence or lessening of your spirituality?
- In what ways do you want your spirituality to grow and flourish?
- What is the trajectory of your spiritual life?
- When is a time you felt spiritually alive or awakened?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- What was most meaningful / valuable to you in this Living Room Conversation?
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on the topic?
- How has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation?