Coronavirus – Reﬂecting & Transitioning
COVID-19 has caused many kinds of losses and discoveries. We have shifted how we live, work, parent, and relate to each other. It is likely the impact the virus has had on society will continue to affect our understanding of personal and public health, the economy, and workplace norms. As we begin transitioning into a “new normal,” whatever that looks like to you, let’s reﬂect on what we’ve experienced so far, what we’re leaving behind, and what we’re taking with us.
Let's Get Started!
Living Room Conversations offers a simple, sociable and structured way to practice communicating across differences while building understanding and relationships. Typically, 4-6 people meet in person or by video call for about 90 minutes to listen to and be heard by others on one of our nearly 100 topics. Rather than debating or convincing others, we take turns talking to share, learn, and be curious. No preparation is required, though background links with balanced views are available on some topic pages online. Anyone can host using these italicized instructions. Hosts also participate.
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community and/or the country?
- What would your best friend say about who you are?
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
Coronavirus – Reﬂecting & Transitioning (~40 min)
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. After everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring additional questions as time allows..
- How would you describe your experience during COVID-19? Where have you seen or felt the biggest shifts?
- What positive changes would you like to integrate into your life? What negative changes are you ready to let go of?
- What information sources are you using to make decisions about increasing your in person contacts with others? What will help you feel good about your decision-making?
- As you pause to reﬂect on your life moving forward, what are you looking forward to, and what concerns do you have?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- What was most meaningful / valuable to you in this Living Room Conversation?
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on the topic?
- How has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation?