Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to tell us about it!
We’re happy to help!
Artificial Intelligence or AI has rapidly emerged as a powerful new technology. Its ability to perform tasks requiring human intelligence has led to its widespread adoption, with 86% of companies considering it mainstream technology as of 2021. Like many technological advances, it is received with reactions ranging from captivation to fear. On the one hand, AI promises rapid economic growth and wide ranging improvements from catching financial fraud to more accurate health diagnostic systems. On the other hand, it raises ethical concerns in social injustice, privacy and data, and threats to security. The impact of AI on our lives, communities, and the future of work is a subject of intense debate. What should we embrace and what should we be leery of? How could AI reshape our society?
This conversation is an invitation to explore our values, how AI is impacting you and changing your community.
Artificial Intelligence: the development and implementation of computer systems capable of performing tasks that typically require human intelligence – learning, reasoning, problem-solving and decision-making.
Let's Get Started!
Living Room Conversations offers a simple, sociable and structured way to practice communicating across differences while building understanding and relationships. Typically, 4-6 people meet in person or by video call for about 90 minutes to listen to and be heard by others on one of our nearly 100 topics. Rather than debating or convincing others, we take turns talking to share, learn, and be curious. No preparation is required, though background links with balanced views are available on some topic pages online. Anyone can host using these italicized instructions. Hosts also participate.
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What are your hopes and concerns for your family, community and/or the country?
- What would your best friend say about who you are?
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. After everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring additional questions as time allows..
- How are you or people you know using AI?
- AI has many potential uses. Which ones excite and/or concern you?
- Is AI having an impact on your community and/or work? Describe what you are seeing.
- How does the development and use of AI align or conflict with your own values?
- What are the challenges and opportunities AI presents in your life and/or community? For our future?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- What was most meaningful / valuable to you in this Living Room Conversation?
- What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on the topic?
- How has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group?
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation?