Our team members have diverse perspectives. We create Conversation Guides with the goal of making them welcoming to people across the political and cultural spectrum. We offer topic guides for over 100 different topics. Browse all our topics below, or browse by category in the left menu (desktop only).
Rapid Response Work
A disturbing number of people suggest the upcoming election cannot be trusted. Some even believe violence would be justified if the election doesn’t go the way they want. The U.S. is the oldest democratic republic in the world, but democracy can’t function when we are unable to talk through our differences. If the American experiment is to survive, we must begin the work of domestic peace building.
Talking About Race
The motto of Living Room Conversations is respect, relate, connect. We know that in the pursuit of racial equity, individual conversations are not the final stop in the journey. Conversations can help us better understand individual bias and racism, as well as consider how racism is part of our systems and institutions. We have created this resource page in response to increased demand and desire to have conversations about race.
Browse all our Conversation Guides below from A-Z. Click the links to explore each Conversation Guide. You can also download a PDF of the conversation for your own use.
Create your own topic
We have over eighty topics, but maybe you can’t find one that appeals to you? You can build your own topic with these easy guidelines.
Tips to create your own :
- Work with your cohost to come up with several questions that satisfy you both.
- Be curious. What would you ask if you didn’t have an opinion or position?
- Examine what your own position is on the topic. Notice if you are framing questions that favor your viewpoint or disallow other viewpoints.
- How did you develop your own perspective? What question would bring that out?
- Beware of including trigger words in your questions, like climate change, anti-___, rights and control.
examples of Custom Conversations
Living Room Conversations has produced several custom conversations in partnership with civic and educational organizations. They are free to use; you can check them out below.