You can bridge divides TODAY – Join a video conversation, host a conversation of your own, and tap into a community of people involved in the work of connection.
Living Room Conversations are a simple way to connect across divides - politics, age, gender, race, nationality, and more.
Getting at the heart of what we share in common with one another, these conversations have powerful, positive impacts across society – including a sense of respect, understanding, and even friendship in unexpected places!
WATCH: Excerpts from a Living Room Conversation on “The America We Want to Be”
Join an Upcoming Staff- or Volunteer-led Conversation
The conversations listed below are events hosted by Living Room Conversations staff or trained and seasoned hosts. Want to become a seasoned host? Contact us!
Join or Host a Conversation on Junto
Anyone can join and host conversations on Junto, our meaningful conversation platform.
Don’t see the conversation you want to have listed? Host one yourself! Just click “Start a Conversation” on the left menu.
Join our Community
Host a Conversation
Living Room Conversations can take place in person or online video chat. No matter where your conversation takes place, there are three steps to hosting your own!
Need additional support? Check out our hosting guidelines for in person and video conversations below. Get even more in-depth training and materials from our Host Toolkit.
Hosting Best Practices
- Make introductions and take care of any housekeeping items at the start of your conversation.
- Assure participants that what matters is their personal perspectives, not how much they know about a subject.
- Read aloud the topic introductory paragraph from the conversation guide.
- Take turns reading the conversation agreements aloud until they have all been read.
- Begin your conversation with round 1 and continue through all three rounds.
- Be attentive to all participants getting a chance to speak each round; this may involve “calling on” participants and/or noticing if participants raise their hands.
- At the end of the conversation, please share the feedback form link with participants and ask them to fill it out – so we can continue to improve Living Room Conversations.
Hosting with Video Chat
- Make sure you have your topic materials available. It’s helpful to read them over before the conversation.
- Position yourself so you are not backlit (i.e., avoid sitting in front of a window or lamp).
- Using headphones plugged into your computer can enhance your audio experience.
- Try to minimize environmental distractions (e.g.barking dogs, ringing phones, etc). If you have unexpected noise, please mute yourself until things quiet down.
- Test out your video platform about 10-15 minutes ahead of time, if you can.
- At the end of the conversation, please send your participants the feedback form link.